When a negative review is posted, it is important that you respond immediately to show that you care about your customers, you’re listening and that you take their feedback seriously. Reply as a person, not as ‘the hotel’ and give your reply a personal touch.
We recommend that your response be tailored to suit each review, but use these steps as a general guideline.
Then make sure you follow through with your staff to ensure that the problem doesn’t happen again.
- Thank the reviewer for taking the time to post a review
- Acknowledge the positive comments where applicable
- Apologize for your hotel not living up to its high standards
- Never offer compensation (eg free room or a discount), as it might only encourage more complaints
- Depending on the severity, provide the manager’s name and number in case the customer would like to discuss the situation in more depth
- Let the customer know that you will make sure that the right department is made aware of the review